Friday, April 24, 2020

lockdown : vinyl find #36.

As a young collector, I taught myself thanks to the internet. For a few years, I lived in places where getting records was not the easiest endeavour. Having conversations with experienced diggers was out of the question. I had to rely on unfrequent visits to record stores and on the digital resources. 
It was great nonetheless, as I got to learn the traps of buying online, the dangers of eBay auctions, and the opportunities on which not to pass. 

By setting the accurate alerts eBay, I was receiving daily lessons on genres that were almost new to me. Psychedelic rock for example. The association of psychedelic rock and France made the name Joël Daydé appear on my radar. A few listens on internet and a look at the cover (by Alain Josset) had me hooked. So I purchased his first album, simply titled "Daydé" (or "J'Aime" according to some). A purchase I fully enjoy to this day.

Mostly sung in (a very convincing) English, with a few parts in French, the album is a blend of blues rock and psychedelism. Hypnotic parts filled with flutes and congas anchors it in the 1960-1070's, while hard guitar riffs refer to the great Hendrix. Daydé's rough voice reminds of Joe Cocker's, giving the album a bluesy touch, with some helpful keys and drums.
In the staff responsible for the production of the album, you'll notice a few important names : Jean-Pierre Lembert (Magma) as arranger, Igor Wakhévitch (responsible for not one, not two, but three or more essential experimental/avantgarde albums) at the direction of the projet, Claude Engel (Magma) on guitar. 

Daydé - Daydé.


Here's the full album, as a YouTube playlist.

By far, the best work from Joël Daydé. An essential piece of French rock.


No comments: