Thursday, April 16, 2020

lockdown : vinyl find #28.

The first krautrock album I've had must have been an album by Tangerine Dream. Soon enough, I got hyped into the genre. I started looking in every directions, only to realize that the genre is so vast. I had to learn, about the bands, about the labels. And of course, I started collecting, with my limited ressources. I jumped from Tangerine Dream to Grobschnitt, I went from Eroc to Can, from Neu! to Jane, Embryo, Agitation Free, Siloah, etc. There's clearly too many records to listen to when you start digging in this bottomless pit. As soon as I got in touch with a few records from the label Brain, it became a beacon in the night... 
So, when I came across a Brain compilation, I knew it was meant to be mine. It features major bands like Jane, Neu!, Embryo, Guru Guru, and so many more, splitted on three records. 
The songs covers many styles : very experimental/ambient with some key players of the genre, such as Harmonia and Cluster, meditative rock with Yatha Sidhra, psychedelic rock, prog rock, electronic, hard rock, jazz-rock, ethnic etc.

To dig into krautrock, the record fairs have been very helpful. Lots of record dealers are true passionate of the genre, and have collected a lot across the decades. Also, the reissue market have treated the genre well during the last years, revealing a lot of private press or confidential records from the past. And obviously, trips to Germany are a must to dig, and especially to Hanover, which, to this day, displays the signs of its alternative spirit. Also, a few record stores have a dedicated space for krautrock ; when in Brussels, Belgium, go to Veals&Geeks, they have a pretty good selection of kraut. 

Various - Kraut rock (German rock scene).


Hey, it's a compilation, so it does not have the cohesiveness of a proper album. Just look for krautrock on YouTube, and make up your mind...
Well, ok, just a few then...

No comments: