Wednesday, April 8, 2020

lockdown : vinyl find #20.

For record collectors interested in psychedelic and progressive rock, Hans Pokora's books are like the gospel. They list records that are worth listening to, and owning as well, as their value is also listed. 
Most of them are way out of my league in terms of price in their original version, so I settle for reissues. That's what happened when I was in my Japanese rock streak ; I even bought unofficial reissues, which fulfilled my needs. 
Of course, I cannot learn by heart all the records recommended by Pokora, and in any case not all of them are interesting. But somehow, when I found this record by Romanian band Phoenix at one of my favorite record dealers in Toulouse, France, I knew it was worth listening. Maybe I had been intrigued by the cover some time while browsing the internet. This wasn't a bargain purchase, but I was willing to pay the 15€ to make up my mind. 

When I think about Romanian music, pan flute immediately comes to mind, thanks to the Zamfirs. But of course, that is not all. Still, this country was on lockdown for decades, so it's difficult to solve the mystery of its musical landscape, especially when it comes to non-folk music.

However, when Phoenix started, the official policy from the authorities to the musicians was to focus on folk music and traditional heritage. Which, obviously, is not what most rock musicians have in mind. But Phoenix adapted to the situation and delivered a sound that blends both worlds. Sometimes, it sounds like some Turkish music, à la Mogols. The policy could explain the obscure cover design, but the listener needs to go further and progress through the album to find some interesting content. 
Another example of politics-influenced music, although it does not seem to be politically oriented (I don't understand Romanian, but it is fair to say singing about politics would not have been a good idea at the time). 
Definitely not psych (except an intense last song), but an intriguing mix of folk and prog. 

Phoenix - Mugur de fluier.


Here's the full album : YouTube.

By the way, the city of Toulouse hosts one of the most vibrant community of record stores that I came accross in France. 


No comments: