Wednesday, April 15, 2020

copyrighting all possible melodies...

I remember having an argument with friends about sampling. It happened twenty years ago. I was trying to explain that it was a relevant creative way of making music. A friend was strongly against it as a valid musical process. To my surprise, another friend came to my rescue, stating that "everything has been done already". It was as simple as that. 
Although it didn't end the conversation, the argument still resonates today. And indeed, in the world of melodies (I know, sampling is not only about melodies), the possibilities are finite, limited. 
A few days ago, I stumbled upon this very interesting article by Vice, about those two guys who, thanks to an algorhythm (sign of the times...), created and saved all possible melodies within one octave. They stopped there but the possibilities could be extended. By doing so, they automatically copyrighted those melodies. Sounds wrong... but it's not. They actually did what I have been waiting for for twenty years : they virtually made it impossible for anyone to claim that a melody preexisted, because, of course a lot of melodies have already been found. Found... that's the word. They are there to be captured, but the mathematical possibilities are finite. 
Now, for a judge to validate this proceedings when facing a case to arbitrate, it's another story. 

I can't wrap up the debate here, but the TED video is an accurate summary of what you should know. 


Brilliant and inspiring.

No comments: