Friday, July 27, 2012

Pharaway Sounds.

There's a new actor in the record label landscape : Pharaway Sounds.

I think the name says it all, it's supposed to be about global grooves. I couldn't find a dedicated website, so all we know comes from the Light In The Attic website. Although the website talks about two releases ("Zendooni", an Iranian pop compilation, and a Bunalim compilation), it seems a third one ("Khana Khana", another Iranian pop compilation) is already scheduled for September.  

I haven't laid my ears on these records yet, but I inted to, as I'm always interested in music from Middle East and the Persian Gulf. For those who don't know, Bunalim is a Turkish psych rock band, which, like other members of the Turkish psych scene of the 70's, perfectly melted traditional influences with rock music, thus crafting a unique sound. Original records are simply impossible to find, so all you can get is reissues by Shadoks, and now by Pharaway. Don't miss that one, Bunalim will blow your mind. 

"Zendooni" is a promising release, as it goes beyond the usual Iranian pop stars we know, such as Googoosh and Kourosh Yaghmaei. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them, but they have been the main features on quite a few compilations. So it's nice to hear something new, new names, new flavors. And "Zendooni" seems to provide.


No comments: