Friday, November 11, 2011

some more blazin' reissues.

At first, I was not attracted to reissues. I usually find remastering a useless effort and kind of a treason to the original artistic views of the artist. Moreover, sometimes the cover art on reissues looks like a cheap Xerox-copy. And, well, reissues obviously don't have the value, neither sentimental nor financial, of original issues. 

But when I dug deeper into rare (in terms of available copies) records, I found interesting records to be out of my league, financially speaking. And when it comes to music from far away countries, I get frustrated by doubling (if not more) the price with the shipping fees (when I purchased through eBay) or with the cost of travelling (when I treat myself with some vacation).

So, all in all, purchasing re-editions makes great music available to the common listener I am. Most of the time I still have to pay a little extra for shipping, but more and more small labels makes it worth it. Their products are usually very similar to the original issues, in terms of sound and artwork. [I take advantage of this post to beg labels : please stop stamping your logo on the cover of the record, people care less about the back. I'm talking to you, 4 Men With Beard and Finders Keepers, despite the fact that I like what you guys do...]

Ok, so, all that to say that some reissues of dope records are now available or about to be : Votary just re-released "Solar Flares" by Sven Libaek. This record, issued by Peer in 1974, had already been reissued, but on CD by Vadim Music. This record is a must-have, so any reissue is very welcome.
Speaking of Vadim Music, they are about to reissue a magnificient album from the godfather of library music, Janko Nilovic, titled "Psyc Impressions". This one should be available in December. 
December will also be the month of the release of Kim Jung Mi's "Now", a Korean masterpiece recorded in 1973 under the guidance of Shin Joong Hyun. Lion Productions, responsible for the Cambodian "Groove Club" series, has opened the pre-orders.
And I almost forgot, Now-Again released "Hell Below" by East of Underground, a band made of American soldiers stationed in Germany during the Vietnam War. Well, actually, the box set is comprised of three LPs by four different bands (East of Underground, The SOAP, The Black Seeds, The Sound Trek) and this must be good.

No comments: