Wednesday, October 19, 2011

gettin the 2Pac treatment.

That's kind of what is happening to J Dilla. Indeed, since James Yancey passed away, several albums, compilations, reissues and other projects, authorized or not, got released. Frankly, I don't really know what to think about it, but I feel uncomfortable somehow. I was pleased with the legacy Jay Dee left us. It is meant to stay in the history of music the exact way he wanted it. 

Of course, this post was motivated by the announcement of the future release of "The Rebirth Of Detroit" in 2012. The goal of the project is to let rappers from the Mo-town express themselves over "new" instrumentals from the MPC master. 
Don't get me wrong : I'm not saying this will be a bad project ; I haven't heard anything of it. But I would like this posthumous frenzy to be more reasonable. Go back to your record collection, listen to the music Dilla released himself and be surprised again. 

You can hate me now. 

No comments: