Tuesday, September 27, 2011

diggin guide - Sevilla (Spain).

When in Sevilla, record diggin is not the priority. The city is so beautiful that there are a lot of things to see, to visit. But, once you've seen everything worth a visit or a sight, you're good to go. 

To be honest, I didn't see a lot of interesting diggin spots, only two actually. 

Discos Latimore : probably the finest you'll find in Sevilla. It's a real record store, meaning that a lot of genres are represented here, from national tango, to soul, bossa nova, jazz, rock etc. You'll find various stuff in this store, such as cool t-shirts (most of the people entering the shop purchase these t-shirts), gadgets, bags...
My goal was to find records by Los Brincos, a Spanish band from the 1960's that's known as the Spanish Beatles. I failed. Those records are among the rarest in Spain, but of course, I wasn't aware of that. Silly me. However, I found some nice instrumental Spanish rock ; you gotta understand that keeping it instrumental was a way to get your stuff released and broadcasted under Franco's dictatorship. 
The guy behind the counter is nice, and is willing to talk and advise about records. Maybe he's just happy to talk about music instead of having people try on his t-shirts... Oh, and prices are ok. Not cheap, not too expensive. I don't recall seeing a "1 euro" crate. 

Record Sevilla : if you're after rock in its various forms (especially the modern gothic, hard, metal versions), Record Sevilla is you're spot. 
On the shelves, there are the valued records, and under the shelves, in the crates, it's full of discounted records, some of them being in bad condition. Too bad... Records are a bit pricy, and I couldn't see any reason to that. It's not a bad place, but they should make it a better diggin spot by putting some order in their crates and improving their selection. 
The guys in there will either ignore you or let you live you own life... well, either way, you probably won't get any advice. Or maybe it's just me. Have your own try. 

To finish, there are vinyls in El Corte Ingles and in the local FNAC, reissues of classics and new releases, but they are damn expensive. Once again, no reason but that's the way it is.  

Well, that's it. I may have missed a few spots, but Sevilla doesn't seem to be a digger's paradise anyway. 

1 comment:

David Lynch said...

I strongly advise to pay in cash in latimore shop: my total was 67.5 eur for 5-6 lps, I asked for a bit of discount, he said ''well let's do 65'' and he charged 70. I found out later after checking on my bank account for the last transactions. Decent selection but the owner is a dickhead.