Monday, September 26, 2011

Cesaria Evora puts an end to her career.

When I saw her name in my mailbox, my first thought was "not again...". I thought I'd lost one of my favorite singers, a few weeks after I'd lost one of my favorite DJ's. 
But no. It's "only" an announcement about Cesaria Evora's retirement. The news is slowly spreading on the web, thanks to French media (AFP, Le Monde, Libération) and to her official website

For quite some time now, Cesaria Evora has been singing less than before, touring less than before, performing less than before, doing less appearances than before. Concluding that she was taking some distance from her singing career was no speculation. 

Fortunately, she blessed her with timeless melodies, since she became internationally known in 1991, and even before, when she was singing for tiny audiences in Cape Verde. 
Now, the barefoot diva will enjoy a well-deserved rest in her home island of Mindelo. 

No comments: