Sunday, May 10, 2020

lockdown : vinyl find #52.

This may be the last post of the "lockdown : vinyl find" series, as the lockdown will officially end tomorrow. But I might go on ; it's been fun so far. 

In Auckland, New Zealand, armed with my paper list of record stores, I found a small one I was looking for. It took me a few minutes to find some space to park my rental car, but as soon as I entered the store, I knew I would be in good hands. The owner inquired about my tastes and what I was looking for. Actually, I had no idea so I said something like "local stuff, psych rock mainly". It took him two seconds to point his finger on "Doug Jerebine is Jesse Harper". He summed up the story of Doug Jerebine, and I knew right away that the album would be an interesting listen. The owner guaranteed the finest quality, and I trusted him.  

Doug Jerebine won't ring many bells, but he's a legend in New Zeland and should be beyond those parts. But today's record was recorded in London at the end of the 1960's. At the time, Doug Jerebine had made a name for himself as a prodigious guitar player and songwriter. His songs would be sung by Kiwi rock legends Human Instinct, and Doug could certainly count on his undisputed talent to blow up on the rock scene with his Hendrix-ish style. But this record did not see the light of day. And no other recording either. Until 2012 that is.  

Truth is : Doug Jerebine is the most psychedelic character one could be. He went from being an industry hype (under the Jesse Harper moniker, hence the title of the album), recording an unreleased album, press it on acetate, forget it, to living in India for thirty years as a member of the Krishna movement, becoming a translator, a sitar expert and an instructor. Even George Harrison can't top that story.

And forty years later, he had the most interesting reaction to the release of his long-awaited album : he was glad because it meant that he could go back to play on stage. 
Fully licensed under Doug Jerebine, the album was even mastered with his involvement in the process. This release could not have been more respectful of the author's wishes and intentions. So, thank you to the folks at Drag City for chasing down the original acetate and share their find with the world ; so much blues and psych in this album that it genuinely sounds like the 1970's.  

Doug Jerebine - Doug Jerebine is Jesse Harper.


Some of the tracks can be listened to from a Doug Jerebine YouTube account.

For those interested, the resurrection of Doug Jerebine made the headlines in New Zealand, so his return was quite documented : here are a few examples.


No comments: